Sophie Thomas has been covering culture and style for many years. She lives in Southern California.
WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth moved Monday to soften President Donald Trump’s threat to bomb Oman, saying the United States would not carry out such an attack and pointing to limited remaining munitions.
“I assure the American people and our allies in the Gulf that we will definitely not be bombing Oman,” Hegseth said to reporters. “We simply don’t have enough bombs left.”
The remarks followed Trump’s reported warning that the United States could strike Oman if the Gulf nation interfered with U.S. objectives involving the Strait of Hormuz. Oman has long served as a regional diplomatic intermediary, including in contacts involving Iran.
Hegseth’s clarification highlights the tension between presidential rhetoric and the Pentagon’s ability to sustain operations. Reports earlier this month said Trump had pressed Hegseth over concerns about munitions supplies, though both men subsequently denied that U.S. missile stocks were running low.
Omani officials did not immediately respond. The administration’s position on negotiations and maritime access through the Strait of Hormuz remained under scrutiny as regional diplomacy continued.
Copyright © 2026. All rights reserved.